Monday, June 26, 2006

Deers in the Woods















Deers live in our neighborhood. One morning I went jogging on the trails around the Mormon Handcart Park, near the entrance area of the apartment complex I live in. My first encounter with a deer there was on a trail along the soccer field. Some noise stopped me, and I looked around. Ten feet from my left-turned body, a deer jumped and quickly ran away into the woods. Few minutes later when I came to a different trail, another sound caught my attention. Again, it was from a deer, who was staring at me from a distance. I smiled, said hello, and then kept on running. Suddenly, in front of my path, yet another deer friend, just about crossing the trail, appeared. But, it got scared by me and turned around running into the woods.

Deers shun people when we intrude on their territory. But sometimes people run from them. Of course, small people. On an evening last weekend spent with Raleigh and Lo-lin in a playground near a railtrack in our backyard, I first spotted a deer hiding in the woods. I told the two sisters that there was a deer in the front looking at us. Lo-lin became neverous. As soon as she saw the deer jumping and running away, she started to run herself, thinking that the deer came after her. Meanwhile, Raleigh got a chance to laugh at her poor litter sister.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home